Bhutan is a small, land-locked mountainous kingdom in Asia, located in the eastern Himalaya north of India and south of China. It is a country with a strong ancient Buddhist culture and almost completely cut off for centuries to avoid foreign influences. Bhutan opened up its door to tourism in the 1970s. Tourism activities are permitted by the Royal Government of Bhutan in 1991 but it is still restricted. Travel is only possible as part of a pre-arranged package or guided tour across the kingdom.
- Request permission before taking photographs of people, events or objects.
- Inside the premises of temples, dzongs or monastery, taking photographs is not permitted.
- Taking photographs is only permitted in the court yard area.
- Please do not touch any religious artifact or antique.
- Purchase of religious items especially antiques is prohibited.
- Please do not climb on or do anything that would show lack of respect to Buddhist artifacts or antiques, large or small, ruined or not, they are regarded as sacred.
- Please take off hats while entering dzongs, temples or monastery.
- Shorts / half pants are not permitted while entering a dzong, temple or monastery.
- Before entering a dzong, temple, monastery, please switch off all mobile phones or keep in the silent/vibrating mode.
- Please speak softly within the religious premises.
- Always walk in clockwise direction while visiting religious places.
- Please remember not to point with a single finger but use an upturned flat extended hand especially to indicate a sacred object or place.
- Please throw rubbish only in designated areas.
- Please refrain from touching any ritual objects or mural paintings.
- Please do not walk over any clothes, books, hearth or materials left open in religious sites.
- Please refrain from smoking or drinking while visiting religious places.
- If you are not sure please ask the local people or the guide.
If you have any question about Bhutan Tour and Trekking Holidays or need any assistance to plan your Tour trekking in Bhutan, simply send us an email and we will get back to you right away.