Every traveler to Bhutan has to book through a recognized Bhutan tour company. The standard Bhutan travel cost imposed by the Royal Government of Bhutan. Tourism in Bhutan is unlike other countries tour, the itinerary cost covers practically all the in-country costs for your holiday. You will have a personal guide and driver throughout your Bhutan tour.
The minimum daily package for tourists travelling in a group of 3 persons or more is as follows:
USD $200 per person per night for the months of January, February, June, July, August, and December.
USD $250 per person per night for the months of March, April, May, September, October, and November.
These rates are applicable per tourist per night halt in Bhutan.
The minimum daily package covers the following services.
- A minimum of 3 star accommodation (4 and 5 star may require an additional premium).
- All meals
- A licensed Bhutanese tour guide for the extent of your stay
- All internal transport (excluding internal flights)
- Camping equipment and haulage for trekking tours
- All internal taxes and charges
- A sustainable tourism Royalty of $65. This Royalty goes towards free education, free healthcare, poverty alleviation, along with the building of infrastructure.
On the day of departure, the ‘local agents’ host obligation shall be limited to providing breakfast only and any extra requirements shall be payable on usage basis.
Tours are prepaid so you'll only need money for drinks, laundry, souvenirs and tips; for this, bring cash. There are ATMs in most main towns, but it would be wise not to rely entirely on being able to use plastic. Credit cards are accepted in some hotels and souvenir shops, but only in major cities or well-touristed areas.
The Royal Government of Bhutan sets minimum selling prices for packages to Bhutan. These must be paid in US dollars prior to arrival in Bhutan.
- There shall be no charge other than visa fee of USD 40 for children below the age of 5 years.
- Children between the ages of 5-12 years shall be given 50% discount on minimum daily package rate.
- Full time students below the age of 25 years, holding valid identity cards from their academic institutions, shall be given 25% discount on minimum daily package rate.
- A GROUP SIZE DISCOUNT of 50% on minimum daily package shall be given to one person in a group of 11 people. 100% discount shall be given to one member in a group exceeding 16 persons.
- A 50% DURATION DISCOUNT on ROYALTY shall be provided after the 8th night and 100% discount on ROYALTY shall be provided after 14th night.
- 100% ROYALTY FREE ZONE DISCOUNT shall be provided on ROYALTY on first and/or last night for groups with night halt in Phuntsholing, Sarpang and Samdrup Jongkhar on arrival and/or departure.
Please Note: Children below 5 years will not be eligible for GROUP SIZE DISCOUNTS, DURATION DISCOUNTS and ROYALTY FREE ZONE DISCOUNT and All Children and Students will not be eligible for DURATION DISCOUNTS
Tourists travelling in a group of two (2) persons or less shall be subject to a surcharge, in addition to the minimum daily package rates.
These are as follows:
- Single individual - US$ 40 per night
- Group of 2 persons only - US$ 30 per person per night
The surcharge will not be applicable to representatives of foreign travel agents on business study or promotional visit duly approved and cleared by TCB.
There is no charge for delays in arrival and departure because of weather conditions disrupting flights or road blocks. The tourist must however bear the cost of food, accommodation, transportation, and other services required.
It is highly recommended that you purchase travel insurance prior to travel.
Tour Programmes booked and subsequently cancelled shall be subject to cancellation charges as follows:
- Within 60 days of start of program ~ no charges
- Within 45 days ~ 20%
- Within 30 days ~ 40%
- Within 15 days ~ 60%
- Less than 15 days or without notice ~No refund
Prior to your trip to Bhutan you will be asked to wire the full payment for your holiday to the Tourism Council of Bhutan.
You must wire the tour payment calculated by your tour operator as well as USD 40 (one time visa fee) to the Bhutan National Bank through one of their certified international partners with the Bhutanese tour operator specified as the ultimate beneficiary.
Please email the bank wire receipt copy to the local Bhutanese tour operator.
If you have any question about Bhutan Tour and Trekking Holidays or need any assistance to plan your Tour trekking in Bhutan, simply send us an email and we will get back to you right away.